A tale of two tachycardias
Keywords:Tachycardia, Paroxysmal, Pacemaker, Artificial, Catheter Ablation
We describe the case of a 78-year-old patient who received a dual-chamber pacemaker implant ten years ago due to sick sinus syndrome, first degree heart block and right bundle branch block and now presents with an incessant wide QRS tachycardia with alternating morphology between deflagration and inhibition of the pacemaker’s ventricular channel.
2. Antunes E, Brugada J, Steurer G, Andries E, Brugada P. The differential diagnosis of a regular tachycardia with a wide QRS complex on the 12-lead ECG: ventricular tachycardia with aberrant intraventricular conduction, and supraventricular tachycardia with anterograde conduction over an accessory pathway. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 1994;17(9):1515-24. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-8159.1994.tb01517.x.
3. Vereckei A, Duray G, Szénási G, Altmose GT, Miller JM. Application of a new algorithm in the differential diagnosis of wide QRS complex tachycardia. Eur Heart J. 2007;28(5):589-600. DOI: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehl473. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehl473.
4. Katritsis DG, Josephson ME. Classification of electrophysiological types of atrioventricular nodal re-entrant tachycardia: a reappraisal. Europace. 2013;15(9):1231-40. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/europace/eut100.
5. Apixaban for the Reduction of Thrombo-Embolism in Patients with Device-Detected Sub-Clinical Atrial Fibrillation (ARTESiA). Available from: URL: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01938248 (May 30,
2017, date last accessed).
6. Non-vitamin K Antagonist Oral Anticoagulants in Patients with Atrial High Rate Episodes (NOAH). Available from: URL: https://clinicaltrials. gov/ct2/show/NCT02618577 (October 20, 2017, date last accessed).