Is a Mechanic Prosthetic Valve in Tricuspid Position an Absolute Impediment to Implant a Definitive Electrode in the Right Ventricle?
This is the case of a middle-aged woman with Ebstein anomaly, who had a tricuspid valve replacement with a mechanic Starr-Edwards caged-ball valve many years ago, and needed an implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) and ventricular pacing due to ventricular tachycardia and atrioventricular block with syncope. Furthermore, she has a chronic respiratory disease that make open chest surgery inadvisable. Prosthetic valves are a real obstacle to cross them and place catheters in the distal chamber. This report shows a technique to get access to the right ventricle endocardium through the annulus and placing the ICD electrode with correct sensing and pacing.
-IDilip Kumar, Saujatya Chakraborty, Anil KumarSinghi. Innovative use of hardware to help cross bioprosthetic tricuspid valve for pacemaker implantation https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ihjccr.2018.05.012
- Schreiber C, Mehmanesch H, Kolb C, Schmitt C, Lange R. Modified implantation of a transvenous defibrillator in a patient after tricuspid valve replacement. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2000;23(11):1698–1699.
- Grimard C, May MA, Mabo P, Babuty D. An original defibrillation lead implantation to avoid tricuspid prosthesis damage. Europace. 2009;12(4):589–590.
- Biffi M, Bertini M, Ziachhi M, Boriani G. Transvenous cardioverter-defibrillator implantation in a patient with tricuspid mechanical prosthesis. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2007;18(3):329–331
- Pratik Patel, MD, Kousik Krishnan, MD, Sandeep Saha, MD And Richard G. Trohman, MD. Novel Implantable Cardioverter-defibrillator Lead Placement in a Patient with a Prosthetic Tricuspid Valve. DOI: 10.19102/icrm.2017.081103
- Fadel, Bahaa M.; Di Salvo, Giovanni. Metal through metal pacing lead across a mechanical tricuspid valve. Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine: September 2017 - Volume 18 - Issue 9 - p 698-699. doi: 10.2459/JCM.0b013e32835ec4bf.
- Stephanie C. Fuentes Rojas, Paul A. Schurmann,Moisés Rodríguez-Mañero, Daniel Lustgarten, and Miguel Valderrábano. Permanent His-bundle pacing from the right atrium in patients with prosthetic tricuspid valve. Heart Rhythm Case Report. 2019 May; 5(5): 244–246. doi: 10.1016/j.hrcr.2019.01.009